Monday, October 22, 2012

Heading back east

Four days remain of my time on the west coast. It amazes me how fast time really goes, has it truly been over a monthalready?
As the departure date grows closer and closer, I am reminded of the only downside to a life of constant travel and nomadacy; your life is a constant stream of goodbyes. People in general are very stationary creatures, and enjoy rooting up somewhere and having their friends and loved ones close by for years, if not a lifetime. The people in my life change just as often as the scenery does, sometimes even faster. I cannot say that I am saddened by my goodbyes, as by now I have gotten used to it. I have truly come to terms with the fact that change is the only constant in life, and living a life that is in continuous change takes some getting used to. But nevertheless, being someone who hates goodbyes, it still bears its weight. I do have to admit though that the excitement I get from travel and the change of scenery always quickly replaces and negative emotions my leaving may produce. I am saying goodbye to family and new friends once again, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't excited to get back to Ohio. I have so many great friends and family there that I have not seen in almost 2 years, I would leave right now given the chance.
The whole goal of Ohio is to get an odd job and save up as much money as possible for next season's travels. In April I will once again throw my pack on my back and toss the great golden thumb towards heaven and be back "home" on the road. The tentative plan is to head down to North Carolina to visit friends and spend at least 2 completely drunk days in Asheville. From there I will make my way westward once again, without any real plan until I get to California. I want to spend at least 3 weeks just working my way up the 101 and do a lot of hiking in the redwoods and along the coast, finally ending up back in Oregon again around mid May. One week or so with friends and family then its off to Maui to wwoof on an organic farm for a few months! I have great hopes for Hawaii, I really think it will be a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment